Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
monopod ??

Post monopod ?? 
Just wondering when people take videos at airshows in crowded spaces where a tripod isn't a option, would you use a monopod ?
I'am considering buying one for RIAT this year and just wondered what peoples experience is using them.

I only do Cosford but I suspect a Monopod would be good for RIAT .. if You swing it perpendicular to the Floor and about 6ft above it .. you should knock down all the fools on the front row with their step-ladders!

I've not used any Supports at Cos or the Loop but I've seen People use Both .. I'd guess it's a smaller "footprint" with the Monopod though

Steve @funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

Post Re: monopod ?? 
633 squadron wrote:
Just wondering when people take videos at airshows in crowded spaces where a tripod isn't a option, would you use a monopod ?
I'am considering buying one for RIAT this year and just wondered what peoples experience is using them.

My experience is that they're not nearly as good as a tripod and so only come into their own in the limited circumstances where a tripod isn't allowed but a monopod is. Also, they're great when holding the camera & lens will give you aching arms or back.

For steadying the camera when tripods aren't allowed or low weight is important, I'd suggest the old trick of a bit of string round the lens and trapped under your foot.

I'd be happy to hear from people that use a monopod a lot.

Interesting about the string. I've never heard of that! So, the string under your foot, up your back and over your shoulder to support the weight?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorthesecond
Canon 70d
Canon 300mm f4 L
Canon 70-300IS USM
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 28mm f2.8
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Interesting about the string. I've never heard of that! So, the string under your foot, up your back and over your shoulder to support the weight?

Loop in each end of string. Lens goes though one loop and you put your foot in the other. You basically pull up with the camera and this cuts out a lot of the wobbles you'd otherwise get. Rubbish compared to a tripod but if light is marginal and there's no wall etc to brace yourself against... Guess it was more popular back in film days when you couldn't just up the ISO.

Ah I see. Back to the discussion.....the only time I've used a monopod is when stood in trees / whatever waiting for wildlife to make some appearance. Found that having the camera at eye height, leaning against my shoulder on the monopod  a) avoided having to hold a heavy long lens all the time and b) meant less movement to bring the camera to my eye, thus less distraction for any animal that might pass by.

Not sure if I'd use it for aviation photography - aircraft may be too fast to pan using a monopod. Certainly wouldn't use it in the Loop.

When I travel / out walking, I use a light tripod that collapses down and hangs under my backpack. Worth checking out on Amazon: koolehaoda Portable Camera Tripod Monopod & Ball Head. I'm sure there are others that are just as good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorthesecond
Canon 70d
Canon 300mm f4 L
Canon 70-300IS USM
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 28mm f2.8
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1