Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Canon standard zoom upgrade - comments?

Post Canon standard zoom upgrade - comments? 
Hi all,
It's about time I upgraded my standard 18-55 kit lens for use on my 7D mk1 (apparently I need to take more pictures of the family lol) , I'd be grateful for any comments:
Canon 17-40 F4 L
Canon 24-70 F4 L
Canon 17-55 F2.8 (non L)
Ideally want to stick to Canon lenses.

17-40 F4 L  are going for good prices used, but many of the reviews I've read say to pay a bit more and go for the 24-70 F4 L.
The 17-55 F2.8 is a bit cheaper but I'm attracted to the F2.8 as it will be better for indoor use.

I'd be grateful for any opinions

Cheers
Al

Fox2 Banner2

If your going to do more portrait type work the f2.8 would be better for inside and out for better bokeh in the pictures.

I've used the 17-55 2.8 on my 7d mk2 and it's a really good lens- f2.8 is useful in low light. It seems pretty sharp throughout the range, and the broken is nice.
Seriously considering selling mine as I've just made the move to full frame.

In the context of taking family type shots inside:

Canon 17-40 F4 L

40mm is too short, f4 will demand either flash or high ISO a lot of the time.

Canon 24-70 F4 L

24mm will sometimes not be wide enough. f4 will demand either flash or high ISO a lot of the time.

Canon 17-55 F2.8

Of the three, this is the best if you're not going for a full frame camera.

What did I do?  Second hand 5d (mark I) and a second hand Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Reason for going FF was the shallower depth of field and the sharper drop off from in-focus to out-of-focus areas. This enables me to blur distracting backgrounds and gives more 'pop' to an image.

This is probably the cheapest way of getting a FF kit. The number of focusing points on the 5D is limiting and the Tamron is s-l-o-w to focus so it's not perfect but I much prefer it to my 550D.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1