Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Canon 5DSR

Post Canon 5DSR 
My first post to this forum which fortunately looks set to continue !

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using this body around the Mach Loop . Seems like a lot of Nikon shooters are using 800E's, presumably for the known high resolution and dynamic range of the sensor in that camera, despite the low frame rate. The Canon cerrtaily has the resolution.  There is a school of thought that the 5DSR is only suitable for landscape/studio work but some bird photographers seeem to be getting good reults handheld. I would primarily be using the Canon 100-400 II handheld. Presently using a 1D Mark IV.

Thanks for any thoughts

Chris

I had one for about 3 months (previous camera was a 5D3 which I had been very pleased with ).  I only do low level, mainly Loop photography and knew when I bought it I was taking gamble, but after heaven knows how many hundred Loop visits, I'd got just about every shot and angle I could want and the prospect of different angles and pixel peeping offered by the 5DSR appealed. Also a couple of other togs whose photography I respect had used one and had got good results.

Didn't really use it a great deal in the Loop due to the poor weather when I had it, but was pleased with the results I got. I say pleased as opposed to very pleased because in order to try and keep images sharp with the 50mp sensor I was uppping the speed to 1/1600 from my normal 1/1250, also quite often I used th medium RAW mode (which from memory was about 30mp), also the frame rate was marginally limiting, although not massively so.

In the end I traded it in for a 5D mk4 which seemed to offer the advantage of an increase resolution and frame rate - and I had a trip to Rainbow lined up and didn't want to be worrying about which RAW mode and speed to use and screw up a F35 pass (I wish!).  I can say that I am very, very pleased with the MK 4- although it expensive .

HTH

Alchad

PS I think the first half of my Fllckr page (https://www.flickr.com/photos/47977048@N08/) are all taken with the 5DSR if you want an idea of what it can do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with the 5DSR, Alchad. I think that like you I will be more likely to end up with a 5D IV but as I do a fair bit of landscape photography which I would expect the 5DSR would excel at I was wondering if at a push I could use it for aircraft  ( or perhaps I may wait for a 35 mp 1DX III/IV !!)

Thank you for posting the link to your Flickr page. I have really enjoyed looking at your stunning images this afternoon.

Chris

Just got one to try out,may not be the best for the Loop,but as the Loop has died somewhat I hoped it would be a good all rounder and enable me to crop for some interesting shots? only shot some civil and Squirrels! at the moment,will do the Loop soon,as said the files are LARGE,so good house-keeping on the lap-top is a must,give me a shout if you have any questions.

PS.....it better be good for LL as the "Canyon" is on the cards for March!
Steve.

Canon 5DSR

Canon 300 2.8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Thanks Steve. I will let you evaluate it for a few weeks then ask a few questions if that is OK. FWIIW I would expect the 5DSR autofocus capapbilities to be a siginificant step up from your 5DMII and 7D. I will be interested to see if you agree.
Good luck at the 'Canyon' !

Chris

Thanks Steve. I will let you evaluate it for a few weeks then ask a few questions if that is OK. FWIIW I would expect the 5DSR autofocus capapbilities to be a siginificant step up from your 5DMII and 7D. I will be interested to see if you agree.
Good luck at the 'Canyon' !

Chris
Tried it in Loop the other week,see the close up of the back end of an Eagle on Mildy and LN Facebook page,Its a keeper.

Canon 5DSR

Canon 300 2.8
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1